Athena
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion)

5 posters

Go down

Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion) Empty Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion)

Post  Toshiku Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 am

Hey guildies,

So, today Bob has decided to leave us on good terms. One of his main reasons for leaving was because he felt detached from the guild, things felt different for him and he felt as if he was too weak. He's not the first lately to complain that they're too weak to be in the guild, and that it's intimidating that so many people are stronger...

Me and Zeph have discussed ways to remedy this, and thus far we're coming a little stuck. We don't completely understand why power difference is such a big deal, to the point that being in Athena is too intimidating to stick around. We have offered to help people with skills, give tips, etc... but we understand that relying on us for ranking or dungeon runs might not be suitable to certain people.

Noting all of the above, do you guys have any ideas on how we can remedy this reoccurring issue within the guild as of late? why is power difference such a big deal, and how can we remedy that? please, serious input only~

-Tosh
Toshiku
Toshiku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion) Empty Re: Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion)

Post  Consonant Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm

NOOOOOOO. NOT BOB! Bob was the best. ;-;
It's weird cause he's actually really strong. o.O
And to subsidize the weaker ones, we'd probably have to offer help, and by offer, I mean literally ASK in the guild chat if anyone needs help with any SMs. I noticed there's not a lot of that, not just with the higher ranked people, but everyone. That's something we can improve on, but that's just my opinion.  Rolling Eyes 

But, I have to agree with him on the "things feeling different for him". I don't know. The whole aura of the guild isn't what it was like when I first joined. I still think of it as the best guild evar, and I love it so. But, I know dat feel that Bob has, if I'm right.
And zis, my friends, is my view.~ ;-;-b
Consonant
Consonant
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion) Empty Re: Bob Leaving/Strength Differences Issues~ (Discussion)

Post  Astralblue Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 pm

My 1st solution to this problem:
Step 1. When a new player joins the guild, make sure that the "monitor" people (the tester people to see if they are suitable to join through SMs and all of that).
Step 2. Ask beforehand if the applicant would feel this power gap between the applicant and other players in the guild. For currently existing players, as them if they feel this way. If the applicant/current guild member does feel this way and ask them if this would ever cause them to leave the guild. If they said "No, it would not cause me to leave" move on to step 3. If they said "Yes, it would cause me to leave" move on to step 4.
Step 3. If the applicant is not bothered by the power gap, we should occasionally ask them if they need help.
Step 4.If the applicant is bothered by the power gap, then they would have 2 options. Move on to Step 5 and 6 for the options.
Step 5. We can group up currently existing members who are similar in power/total level/CP/skill/etc... and have them support the applicant when they need help so that way the applicant does not feel the power gap as much. You can also group the applicant with a stronger guild member to help speed along their progress (although the applicant might feel the power gap even more). Once the applicant is on par with the mid-tier of the guild or close to it (Like Consonant and Astralblue) the applicant might not be affected by the power gap no longer (hopefully this is the case).
Step 6. The applicant/guild member always has an option to leave but on positive terms if they are in the guild.

My 2nd solution to this problem:
Just be stricter on the requirements such as the Guild Tester process or add in a total level requirement and/or a talent level requirement.

I'm not sure if these methods would remedy the problem, however it should at least assist in reducing the occurrence of the whole "I'm not strong enough compared to you guys, I feel weak Sad". I also added in a few of other stuff that we talked about in the past such as the Guild Testers to the solution if you had not noticed.

Astralblue
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post  Shizuhara Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Given the many-faceted nature of the problem, it might be better to take a circumspect route in solving it. For example, shifting the perceived focus of the guild to something other than amassing strength.

Recall the dress-up event held in Emain Macha not too long ago. While it somewhat favored richer players, it was still quite accessible. No matter one's status in the game, it was an opportunity for bonding. If our camaraderie is built on that, then power gaps will feel like less of an issue.

That said, strength isn't the major factor in Athenian bonding even now. It is quite ever-present, though.
Shizuhara
Shizuhara
Admin

https://athenaguild.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Toshiku Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Shizuhara wrote:Given the many-faceted nature of the problem, it might be better to take a circumspect route in solving it.  For example, shifting the perceived focus of the guild to something other than amassing strength.

Recall the dress-up event held in Emain Macha not too long ago.  While it somewhat favored richer players, it was still quite accessible.  No matter one's status in the game, it was an opportunity for bonding.  If our camaraderie is built on that, then power gaps will feel like less of an issue.

That said, strength isn't the major factor in Athenian bonding even now.  It is quite ever-present, though.

Those were precisely my aim with the event, though favouring richer players was not my intentions, I did later notice how it turned out that way however. Your suggestion was pretty much my thought process when thinking about this last night, thanks a lot for replying.

The one and only issue I have with events (besides ideas) is people willing to take part in either the planning or the event itself. I guess that's largely linked to the recent complaints that the guild doesn't feel the same anymore, due to new rules linked to mods, people being inactive due to finals, older members poofing, etc.

I guess we'll discuss this further at the meeting on Saturday. It'd be nice to see you there if possible, Juno~

Take care Smile
Toshiku
Toshiku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Toshiku Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Astralblue wrote:My 1st solution to this problem:
Step 1. When a new player joins the guild, make sure that the "monitor" people (the tester people to see if they are suitable to join through SMs and all of that).
Step 2. Ask beforehand if the applicant would feel this power gap between the applicant and other players in the guild. For currently existing players, as them if they feel this way. If the applicant/current guild member does feel this way and ask them if this would ever cause them to leave the guild. If they said "No, it would not cause me to leave" move on to step 3. If they said "Yes, it would cause me to leave" move on to step 4.
Step 3. If the applicant is not bothered by the power gap, we should occasionally ask them if they need help.
Step 4.If the applicant is bothered by the power gap, then they would have 2 options. Move on to Step 5 and 6 for the options.
Step 5. We can group up currently existing members who are similar in power/total level/CP/skill/etc... and have them support the applicant when they need help so that way the applicant does not feel the power gap as much. You can also group the applicant with a stronger guild member to help speed along their progress (although the applicant might feel the power gap even more). Once the applicant is on par with the mid-tier of the guild or close to it (Like Consonant and Astralblue) the applicant might not be affected by the power gap no longer (hopefully this is the case).
Step 6. The applicant/guild member always has an option to leave but on positive terms if they are in the guild.

My 2nd solution to this problem:
Just be stricter on the requirements such as the Guild Tester process or add in a total level requirement and/or a talent level requirement.

I'm not sure if these methods would remedy the problem, however it should at least assist in reducing the occurrence of the whole "I'm not strong enough compared to you guys, I feel weak Sad". I also added in a few of other stuff that we talked about in the past such as the Guild Testers to the solution if you had not noticed.

Good work coming up with these ideas, Astral. Though, I don't think we'll be following such a rule-orientated route... we'll discuss this more on Saturday. Smile
Toshiku
Toshiku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shizuhara Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Toshiku wrote:Those were precisely my aim with the event, though favouring richer players was not my intentions, I did later notice how it turned out that way however. Your suggestion was pretty much my thought process when thinking about this last night, thanks a lot for replying.

The one and only issue I have with events (besides ideas) is people willing to take part in either the planning or the event itself. I guess that's largely linked to the recent complaints that the guild doesn't feel the same anymore, due to new rules linked to mods, people being inactive due to finals, older members poofing, etc.

I guess we'll discuss this further at the meeting on Saturday. It'd be nice to see you there if possible, Juno~

Take care Smile

Ohoho~

It's possible. 3/4 finals are on Friday.
Shizuhara
Shizuhara
Admin

https://athenaguild.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephy Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Imma move it to the Announcement forum as this is kind of a serious topic.

This is a rather sticky situation we're in right now. We can't change the way other people play. Some desire to be stronger, some do it for fun, some for both. I guess we'll have to discuss possibilities in the guild meeting.

Zephy
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down